Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Not enough Michelles to go around

Offering immediate reactions (and connections) here to Obama's better half giving AC360 an "exclusive" interview.

He may not win the nomination, but she gets my proverbial vote.

And here's why: she's setting what seems to be a woefully rare example to two daughters what it takes to keep a black man happy, and in check.

Dare I say, Michelle Obama is today's Coretta.

How many strong, capable, collected and calculating black women like her will be out there for my son to choose from when his time to choose comes?

Only divine providence could have turned the humbly-born Michelle Robinson into a regal candidate to become First Lady.

Down here on the ground, where I live, there's no evidence of a smart black princes refinery in operation.

I suspect the "talent" pool will be shallow when the II decides it's time to settle down with one woman. No doubt, that's why I take such interest and observing and encouraging the girls his age in my god-blessed inner circle.

No doubt their daddies are sizing up the II's potential at every opportunity, as well. As a jet-setting romance novelist and custom jeweler said to me yesterday over a getting reacquainted lunch gushed to me after a glimpse of his picture, "He's going to have his pick."

But "his pick" of what?

Over lunch, I got schooled on the "Jacks and Jills" society of well-off black kids in big cities who were groomed to be solid middle-class (at least) citizens who got good grades, good jobs and paired off to start families during the '50s, '60s, '70s and '80s.

Is that a tradition that needs rekindling?

If it isn't, I fear that the majority of 40-something men like me will wind up with grandchildren who don't proudly bear the same last name and wouldn't recognize them if they bumped into them on the street.

What if standards of decency and abstinence decline further than they have already.

When it comes to finding a Michelle generations from now, the pickings could be mighty slim.

No comments: