Thursday, May 1, 2008

Never learned to swim...

Can't catch the rhythm of the stroke, as Parliament/Funkadelic so sagely put it.

It's been a sore subject almost all my life.

Being unable to so much as dog paddle nearly got me killed years ago on a trip with the fellas to South Beach. Like most black folk denying themselves one of life's simple pleasures, I generally just avoid the water.

It's a sore subject. And I notice the stigmatic scap whenever the child, wife and I vacation someplace where there's a pool or lake or beach. I know better than to venture too far out. But I don't want to instill similar fears in him.

Not when it can be avoided. That's why an AP report I saw today on how few black kids can swim _ and how they drown in staggeringly larger numbers than white kids _ tugged at me.

Nearly 60 percent of our kids (ages 6 to 16) can't swim according to a survey compiled by USA Swimming, and our kids are three times more likely to drown.

So urge someone you know to check into USA Simming's "Make a Splash" program. If it's not offered at the Y or public pool nearest you, ask why not.

Part of the reason our kids can't swim is that we can't swim either. In other words, they lack role models in the exercise that could save their lives.

So make them aware of Cullen Jones, a "Make a Splash" alumnus according to AP, who is expected to compete for the 50-meter gold medal at the Beijing Olympics this summer and holds a world record as part of the U.S. 400-meter freestyle relay team.

Put up a poster of him (if you can find one) alongside Carmello's, whydon'tcha?

No comments: