Monday, June 30, 2008

If I could turn back time...

Supposedly, Spike Lee's got some new project up his 40 Acres and a Mule sleeve.

It's being reported that Lee _ who more readily specializes in revisionist history _ will take on a sci-fi film inspired by Robert Mallett's ground-breaking pursuit of a theory to explain a way to reverse time. Mallet reportedly was just 10 when he lost his father. The ensuing longing, and scientific study, led to a memoir,  "Time Travel: A Scientist's Mission to Make Time Travel a Reality," which Spike will develop for screen.

Variety quoted Lee saying: "Time Traveler is a fantastic story on may levels (and) also a father and son saga of love and loss."

Enough said.

We all know by now how harshly the lack of Black fathers in homes across the U.S. is felt. Kudos to Spike for sensing the need for a story that acknowledges it, and could potentially spur a remedy.

As for me, thank goodness a time machine like Mallett envisioned would be of little use. (Or, I admit I'd likely use it for no good.)

Going back 10, 20, even 30 years wouldn't change much about my ties to my dad; even though my parents split up, gradually, between my elementary and middle school years. He never talked much, but he always meant what he said.

He didn't live with us during my potentially disastrous teenage years; but he never lived more than a determined 10-speed bike ride away.

His efforts at parenting might not have consisted as much at times than picking up for breakfast at the downtown greasy spoon where cops ate for next to nothing; but he set an example for me to be patient and 'yes, ma'am' a lot.

He was a lousy husband. But he taught me people skills.

Since, I've set seemingly unattainable standards for myself, no awards for "Greatest Dad Ever" appear on the horizon. But I do try to instill lessons that the II will benefit from 10 years hence; whether I'm around (physically) or not.

Be nice to girls. Get a job. Take care of Mommy. Practice your left hand. Save money.  

That sort of thing.  

Whatever it is you believe, make sure to say it. There's no time like the present.


No comments: