Thursday, November 6, 2008

Does Barack Obama play golf?

I'm frankly still feeling too wiped out from all the election hysteria that culminated two nights ago to go through Google to find out what else the President-elect and I might have in common; hobby-wise.


VIDEO: YOUTUBE

But I will; and if the golf industry sees any chance to make his connection to the game a win-win in terms of publicity, it'll soon be known anyway.

For some reason, I keep envisioning Barack and Tiger Woods in a dream pairing; playing privately at Woods' Isleworth compound. Imagine the conversation, the laughs, the bets, the precious pauses.

To lighten things up on this blog, for a change, let's focus on golf. Black men who play golf. How black men play golf differently, if at all. What draws more and more black men to the fairways?

More importantly: what's the best way to get more of our black children into the game? My son is 5, so I can't get him into the First Tee program for another two years. I've tried, without pushing, to get him used to swinging clubs. But it's hard to hold his attention for more than 20 minutes.

Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Geo said...

...and this goes for any beginning golfer: teach from green-to-tee instead of vice versa - start with putting, then chipping, etc. - beginners will love putting as we all do - find
them a putter and take them to a nice practice putting green

Anonymous said...

Obama is all all about the basketball, which NBA star would you team him up with?

Anonymous said...

If Obama would engage in trash talk on the golf course, I'd have to pair him up with Larry Bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vHEWOqdyTg&feature=related

No question I'd love to hear what he and Michael Jordan would have to say to each other during a round. And you'd have to include Barley for pure comedy.

But the name that comes first to mind is Dr. J.
Word has it that Julius Erving's sunk some money into a North Georgia golf course and that his game is not that bad.

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=26000&select2=9938

That would be a great pairing. They could debate the merits of the "dunk" versus the "finger roll"
Agree?

Geo said...

Imagine the following exchange between Barack (B.O.) and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (Ahk)

B.O.: How are you President?
Ahk: I'm fine...President (chuckle) and you? ...and congratulations again Mr. President. Is it okay if I call you Barack?
B.O.: Sure, is it okay if I call you Ahk?
Ahk: Surely
B.O.: I know you are a busy man so let's get straight to the point. When can we get together, face to face, to discuss some pressing issues. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Ahk: Yes, indeed, I know what you are referring to and I have been looking forward to talking to you ever since you disclosed your willingness to sit down and have a discussion with me and others of my ilk, so to speak. (chuckle)
B.O.: (also chuckling) Great.....listen, I'm wondering, are you a golfer ?
Ahk: Actually, I'm not but I've been very intrigued by the sport ever since Tiger Woods won the Masters in '97.
B.O.: Great, I would love the honor of sharing your first official round of golf with you. It will give us at least 4 hours of solitude to come up with some ideas to move our diplomacy in the right direction. In the meantime get fitted for a set of clubs and take a few lessons and I will have my scheduler contact your scheduler. How are things otherwise?
Ahk: ...well, based upon your comments I will have 4 hours in the near future to share all of that with you and I very much look forward to it. In fact, I appreciate such a gracious and creative gesture. I'm headed to Golfsmith now and I will give my scheduler specific instructions to schedule this round of golf as soon as possible.