Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What if he asks what 'gay' means?

It's bound to happen sooner or later.


VIDEO: YOUTUBE


We might be raking leaves, or poking around the hardware store, or driving to school.
Sooner or later, I'm guessing, the 5-year-old genius is going to pose the question the way an attorney would: "What does gay mean?". He'll have an answer in mind before even asking. And I'll be on the figurative witness stand, sworn to be honest and forthcoming.
But how?
Granted...
The Young'un has known and accepted for a year or two that the little neighbor girl with the chubby cheeks "has two mommies". His only barber (besides Mommy) is a gritty gal who has no qualms about flexing her masculine side. And, without doubt, at good few of his intown pre-school teachers lead me to believe that they lead "alternative" lifestyles.
So be it. He's progressing briliantly. So don't ask, don't tell. Right?
But now we have Wanda Sykes (who I always thought was fine) coming out as a proud lesbian. And untold thousands are protesting across the U.S. because California voted down gay marriages. The controversy's not going away. So there's bound to be spill-over he picks up on.
Back to the question of what to say. (Since I met Wanda up close and personal once and found her lovely skin and chiseled features and white-hot wit really attractive, I consider myself an oblivious moron on these matters.)
The g-word passed my lips inadvertently in front of the Young'un on Sunday when his godfather and I were watching an NFL game andit occurred to me how one player didn't strike me as playing manly enough. I regret the comment for countless reasons.
Chief among them: the Young'un might have asked what I meant. And rightfully so.
Coming soon...DO THE CUB SCOUTS STILL EXIST?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you think Wanda Sykes is FINE????

Anonymous said...

"Fine" is in the eye of the beholder, obviously.
I met her up close (within the same few "photo-op" minutes of 'meeting' J-Lo at the Atlanta premiere of "Monster In-Law".
To me, Wanda's skin looked rather flawless. She has lovely bone structure, and inside that champagne-shaded suit of hers her body looked rather tight.)
No doubt she was "styled" to the hilt that night. As was J-Lo, who's on a whole other planetary level of delicious-looking in person.
Overall, given Wanda's hard-edged comedic persona, I liked the softer edges I saw. Blame my optometrist, why don't ya?