Wednesday, January 16, 2008

As DJ Kool would say...

Let me clear my throat.
I may fumble through this first message to you. But you'll get the point, eventually.

Many moons ago I started fretting over how well, or how bad, I was doing at helping to raise my son.  At the same time it occurred to me that my closest confidantes all led lives that mirrored mine. They're all married black guys around my age and stage of career accomplishment with at least one young son at home.

But I never really turn to them for anything but tee times or rare nights out for a few drinks.

From the outside-in look of things, everyone's house is in order. Still, I figured, there's got to someone else among us (besides me) who's anxious as hell about how his boy(s) will fare in this world. 

Trying to set the right example's a mo'fo. Right?

For now, I won't burden you with the frights troubling me now, as I listen for signs that my namesake is finally down for the night; and Mommy's about to fall asleep Googling whatever it is she Googles every night before crashing (laptop in lap). For now I'll just say that you're invited into the conversation if you've got insights.

I, for one, need support and guidance and, for goodness sake, comic relief , where doing the right thing towards your young son's concerned.

I live in a city barely stirred today by the news that teenagers (presumably) had gunned down two uniformed, off-duty cops who were patrolling a slum a scant few miles from my house.

I live in a city where both the former mayor and the former NFL franchise quarterback were sent to federal prison within a span of two years.

I live in a city where a disproportionate number of celebrities come to floss, build McMansions, "make it rain" at strip clubs, and scuffle with the law.

I live in a city that embodies a national tragedy: fewer than two out of every ten young black boys born in America have a father at home to kiss goodnight.

That trend's got to be stopped. Or else, black father figures go the way of the buffalo and/or syndicated TV.

The goal is to start a dialogue that helps black fathers be more fully engaged. So, without further adieu, let the Ask Your Daddy blog commence.

2 comments:

Geo said...

'closest confidantes' may be the key here - unlike pacman and mv7's closest confidantes I'm not gonna tell you what you want to hear - I'll try to keep it as real as possible and we'll go from there - I have no plans to vote for Hillary but her '...takes a village to raise a child...' quip does hit home - we can start by doing all we can to look out for each other and each other's kids (unconditionally and unequivocally) - how do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time - will we 'save' the black race? - no (and I quit trying a long time ago) - but charity begins at home so hopefully our shining example will spread to the black community at-large

A. Scott Walton said...

geo, scott here: your 'one bite at a time' analogy says it all.
I suggest the vinegar, salt and vodka marinade